Pages

Saturday, July 26, 2014

"We Live and Breathe Words"


    It's funny when you think about what words can do to you; and then you think about where that power comes from.  I mean, aren't we the ones who give them the power they have?  For instance, the dreaded curse words or cussing-these can make the most mature adult turn into a small child again; acting as though they are afraid, and quickly shushing you.  I just want to say to them, "It's no big deal.  It's not the word that you should be focused on, but the emotion behind it."
     And isn't that where we get the idea for the meaning of these allegedly wretched words?  As kids we grow up hearing adults use them in fits of anger and frustration.  I wonder if originally, maybe even back before documented history, the word wasn't what made the original user feel shameful, but the emotions and ideas that accompanied the use of the word; along the way it just got a bit misconstrued.  I think about things in this way most of the time.  "What was it like before modern civilization?  How has it changed in its context?"
     So with this in mind, I try not to be "afraid" of words.  I definitely use them, they are the salt and pepper of my daily language.  Now, don't get the wrong idea here; I think if you don't use these words sparingly you come across a bit uncouth and possibly dull.  I definitely use them when angry or frustrated; or say, if something startles me (hey now, I can't really help those :p).  But sometimes they come out when I'm quite joyful, or being a bit silly, too.
     All of that aside, words-and the juxtaposition of words-can do remarkable things for you, can't they?  And if you are like me, you might sometimes find yourself wondering why.  And if you are like me you might find yourself deciding it doesn't matter at all :D.  I have said all of this just to come to a point where I can type here for you a small part of a sentence I just read in a delightful little book that just made me quite happy.  Here it is: "...the deepest moonless night."  (~from The Poisons of Caux: The Shepherd of Weeds by Susannah Applebaum)
     That is all.  The words just feel so nice bouncing around inside my little brain.  They feel especially nice as I breathe them past my teeth and out of my mouth.  Haven't you ever felt that way?

No comments:

Post a Comment