Pages

Sunday, October 7, 2018

Belief in Ghosts

'Tis the Spookyween season, so naturally I've found myself in conversations about ghosts.

Let's play with this idea.  Of ghosts.

Why not believe in ghosts?

Invisible things affect our physical bodies all the time.

Some cultures even believe that a ghost is anything that haunts you.

🦇👻🦇
Like a memory, 
or a mistake, 
or a decision,
or a regret, 
or a habit, 
or a relationship,
or an illness
or an allergy
or a thought 
etc.
🦇👻🦇

Belief in ghosts is this kind of wavy line for me.

I've never had a ghost experience in the traditional sense, myself; but I know some people who have

-or at least believe they have.

And there are other friends who have witnessed some weird-ass unexplainable things.

There have been a few times in my life, however, that this great fear came over me for seemingly no reason. 

This feeling like something was going to suddenly appear and hurt me.

Once was when I had arrived home a few minutes ahead of Mark.

Flora was with me, so we set out while he finished up at his mom's house.

I pulled up; it was dark both inside and outside the house.

I suddenly felt so panicked that I almost pulled out and went back up the road to my mother-in-law's house.

Then I thought that seemed kinda crazy.    (psh)

So I thought about calling him.   That seemed crazy, too.   (psh)

So I did this totally not crazy thing: 

I turned off the car, ran to the other side as fast as I could to unbuckle Flora, ran to the door (which is maybe ten feet away from my car door) as fast as I could, and, all frantic-like, unlocked the door as fast as I could, shut it, and locked it.

That wasn't the end.

Then I had to bravely burst into each room and turn on the lights while frantically searching all hiding spots.

I'm sure I looked like a mad woman (poor Flora).

But it felt like my life was in serious danger!

After all the lights were on inside and outside the house, I calmed down a bit.

The other time- it was also dark- I was walking up the stairs to my father-in-law's empty apartment.

No lights were on inside and I thought I heard a sound like something had plucked the bow hanging on the wall.

My mind went into belief overdrive, I suppose, because, again, I had that feeling like something was going to jump out and git me!

So I grabbed whatever it was I needed and ran back down the stairs barely holding in one of those frightened giggle-shrieks.

I think it is extremely possible-

especially considering that all things are made up of energy/movement/sound-

that what we experience as a "ghost" could be our human brains trying to make sense of something energetic.

I could see that maybe what we experience, we actually shape ourselves with what is already known to us.

Most apparitions are human in origin.  They usually have movement or sound associations as well.

Who's to say that, maybe even, we don't create them ourselves?

I think it is, again, extremely possible, that we may conjure something with our very thoughts/emotions/energy that we don't yet comprehend fully.

I've even considered that maybe those who have seen ghosts in the traditional sense may very well be seeing human entities- but that still they aren't exactly that.

Maybe they are memories attached to a residual energy?

And I don't even mean memories that belong to the person having the experience.

I mean, we now know that memories are stored in our bodies- not just our brain.

So who's to say what is and isn't possible?

Whatever ghosts are, I have found myself thinking that the neat little categorized boxes we put them in may not actually do them justice.

Anyway, if you're reading this and have had your own experiences, I'd enjoy hearing about them. 

:👻*Spooky Disclaimer*👻
 I am in no way trying to take away from anyone the experiences they've had.  I am just someone who has not had these experiences myself, playing with expanding the idea of all the things they could be.



Thanks for 🦇 spooking ðŸ¦‡ by!

No comments:

Post a Comment