Pages

Sunday, June 17, 2018

Craving Rain

Whelp, it's not even the Summer Solstice yet, but it's already happened:

The Fall Longing.

It's only happened once, but it's happened!

I've also been really craving rainy/thunderstorm days.

I didn't realize just how much until the other day.

It had started storming while I was cleaning the house.  I quickly became inspired to make a rainy day playlist*.

*Except in my world that sounds too boring, so of course I named it something pretentious like "Sink into Precipitation"......

It wasn't until it stopped and the sun started to come back out, and I realized I was kinda bummed about it-haha!

I feel like a good thunder storm just makes you feel like the whole world is offering you a good excuse to just
                                                               sit,
                                                                   sink,
                                                                       and slow down.

Then there's the comforting rumble of the thunder (as a good friend pointed out to me)

And, for some reason not entirely known to me, it always feels like there is some kind of adventure waiting to begin.

Give me my hoody, a blanket, and a good movie that kinda mimics the mood, and I. Am. Set!

(For Flora and me, yesterday's thunderstorm was accompanied by Jumanji.)

Ya know, I used to wonder over which was my favorite season- Spring or Fall?

As of right now, I'm pretty dang sure it's Fall.

Spring's new awakening plants, and that smell of petrichore, surely have their merits;

but there is something about Fall's invitation to slow down, to notice, to see a different kind of change, that is just so dang comforting.

I definitely found a deeper appreciation for Winter this last year, as well.

Again, I didn't even realize how deep I'd sunk into it's comforts until I found myself wishing that Spring would hold just off

just a little longer.

I just didn't feel ready to give up the solace of solitude I found in the muted landscape on my ride to work in the mornings.

And as it has gotten deeper into these warmer/hotter months, I feel myself slowing down in a way that isn't quite as invigorating as it was in the colder months.

And, oddly, I'm ok with it.  I think because I realize it as just being part of my own yearly cycle.

It's like, in seeing my response to the changing seasons, I'm seeing some map of myself being laid out for me.

And if anything gives me a natural high, it's seeing and analyzing "new" parts of myself- haha!

So I'll end with a curiosity question:

How about you?  What is your favorite sesason?  Why?

No comments:

Post a Comment