Pages

Friday, April 6, 2018

High on Ideas, Deep on Explanation

This week I have been high on ideas!

A new collage idea has been rolling around in my head for over a week now, so all sorts of things keep sparking my imagination.

I was fortunate enough to have a friend give me some magazines ( aka collage fodder) this weekend, and it was exactly what I needed!

And just like that, with a simple spark, I'm in an active state of repose.  Ok, maybe that's an oxymoron.  Let me explain:

I just wanna cut CUT CUT CUT!

Seriously.  I have literally been so excited about cutting stuff out for new collage material!

It's kind of like how you can't wait to get home and sit down with a good book.

Or maybe like, when you are so ready, to just get in your pajamas and binge watch that new show you found.

See, an idea had already, very gently, floated past me not that long ago, that maybe I'd like to restock my bags.*

*For context here:  I have an old suit case full of ziplock baggies as a system for categorizing my cut-outs.

Lately I've had so much good material just pop up in what I'm already reading or thumbing through, that I've only been cutting things out when I'm actively working on a new piece.

It's been more about images sparking ideas, not so much the specific ideas wanting to find images to bring them forth (with both being guided ways in which I work these days).

And now I've flipped.  All of my creative energy, instead of jumping right into making, wants to nest.

And I am sooo ok with that!

It's interesting, isn't it?  How returning to something familiar can still be exciting.

I guess right now cutting is kind of what crocheting can be for me at times. Sitting still, but still working towards something

It's like I've been away, excitedly visiting new places, and now I'm landing home with a warm cozy chai latte.

And I can just indulge in it until my hands say "create" again.

And as silly or simple as it may seem, it's a whole different level of comfort knowing I'm ok with this.

I mean, there was a time when all I did was collect materials and cut.  It was like I was addicted to what was predictable and was avoiding the end result of actually creating something.

I'm talking about years.

In fact, I splurged so hard on just cutting, that when I began this go 'round with collaging,

I started with cleaning out my suit case.

There were so many pieces in there that I was just like "And why would I ever want to use this?"  Haha!

So I guess cutting, at that point, was very un-directed.

And yet,

even with that part of me that tends to look back at that era as me just wasting my own time,

I can still see where it served its purpose.

And so there is this whole different level of excitement in just letting myself roll with this. 

In trusting myself that when I'm ready to come back, I will.

So yeah.

Ha!

Well, I really didn't think things would get deep this go 'round, but there ya have it.

So with that, I want to leave you to go laugh your asses off at this video:

 Erykah Badu rating things. (Seriously. I didn't know she was this funny.)


No comments:

Post a Comment