Pages

Sunday, August 5, 2018

The Small Things

Last night my husband and I got to go on a date. 

It feels like it has been forever since we've been able to spend any amount of time together, just us.

It's become a small issue that we don't feel quite as connected as we once did; that we feel more different and distant than ever.

So, we did some regular date stuff- we ate at a restaurant and went treasure hunting at the thrift store.

I knew we were off to a good start when, over our dinner, the conversation turned to life things, and the possible whys behind human behavior- our own behavior.

And then all the little things after that felt the most magical.

We took a night time stroll on the river walk in our town.

I felt myself begin to just soak up these moments. 

How mystical it felt to walk at night again; seeing the light shine on the water- donning it "Dazzling Waters (and feeling very Anne-like in doing so);

spotting all the spider webs I could find and "weeds" I could name;

leaning out over the peer to put my hand in the water that was churning from the turbines;

For some reason this made me feel daring and mysterious.

people-watching and musing, again, on human behavior with Mark.

Then came the ride home. 

The fog was showing itself in the headlights, and we let ourselves get lost on back roads.

I fully sank into the thrill of it.

As Depeche Mode's Precious played from his curated playlist, I thought, "If he really values this song, then maybe we're not so different these days after all."

I almost said it out loud, but decided to let it be my own secret revelation for the moment.

I just held that feeling.  I held it so tight.  Knowing that the only magic is ever in the moment.

I believe it is as the old Roald Dahl quote goes:

“And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places. Those who don't believe in magic will never find it.”

While I'm someone who believes in magic- the invisible kind- I don't always see it.

I suppose, on this night, though, my eyes-and my heart- did sparkle.

No comments:

Post a Comment